From This Day Forward...I Vow

MozFest 2017 was absolutely professionally rejuvenating. I spent a few days in London interacting with a diverse group of professionals discussing internet health. The topic I continued to be drawn to was digital inclusion. More specifically, the forgotten communities. While the discussion was centered around internet access in rural communities, the discussion led to other forgotten communities, particularly students with disabilities. I have deployed thousands of Chromebooks and pushed out hundreds of apps. Some at the request of staff and others as a means to spark creativity. Not once have I ever considered students with disabilities and how certain apps could bring them into the fold of learners or how digital tools would highlight a talent we would not otherwise know of because we are blinded by the disability.

As a tech leader in the education space, I gained a much broader perspective on many uses of the internet in many different industries. I learned that our opportunities are only limited by willingness to explore. There were phenomenal sessions on digital identification and the importance of protecting your digital image and on cleaning up your image. I am eager to incorporate this in training with adults and young people.

I return from MozFest 2017, with a greater understanding of internet health and the impact it has on many communities. I have also concluded that our challenges, irregardless of industry, are very similar and a healthy open internet  is most definitely essential for community and global progression.

I returned home with a VOW to be more inclusive in my device implementations and app deployments, I also plan to begin an innovation camp for students. MozFest 2017 topics sparked ideas for more inclusive, collaborative, and hands-on learning experiences involving teachers, students, and community members working together to solve community issues. It is with this vision that an open healthy internet is essential.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chin Up Little Black Girl

Welcome

FUNds for College