Little Black Girl- The Story

The Story Behind Little Black Girl



As I begin to share my story through poetry, I don't consider myself to be anything but a woman with a passion to empower and inspire others through her experiences.  This is just as good a time as any to begin. Hey Little Black Girl is a series of poetry written based on my encounters in environments where, often times, I was the only person or one of very few that was black and female. Now, being the only individual to be or do in any environment has never kept me from doing anything and, truthfully, it was never evident until I began a life of leadership. There is a little black girl inside of each of us that has and continues to shape us into the women we are and will become as we live this journey.  This is my story.

At the moment there are 5 Little Black Girl Poems. These poems are simply written but will have an impact on your soul. Especially if you have experienced it and if you haven't, share them with someone who has and needs to be uplifted.

A boisterous little girl, I grew up in a small town, like most children, with no worries. I had a little pizazz and a whole lot of sass.  I spoke my mind and often got in trouble for talking in class, not big trouble, but I've had to stay in from recess and lunch a few times. In hindsight, I think those teachers were keeping me from interacting to teach me the art of silence. Ha! my silence serves no one. It may have curtailed my behavior or paused it for some time, but I am who I am and I will continue to be. That little black lives inside of me. She is the reason I have found success and blessing beyond what I had imagined for myself. She is the source of Shona-Dee.

My teenage years were just as bubbly and joyful as my earlier years. I was a bold young girl. I spoke to everyone, asked a lot of questions, got involved in lots of activities (I was active like that) and most importantly (to me), I was DRAMA FREE! Yes, I said it!, I was a teenage girl who was drama free.  If a rumor was brought to me I went to the source. You have to question the carrier of information. I didn't know that as a teenager, but as an adult, I'm able to recognize the why in my behaviors and they stem back to the little black girl. At this point in my life, I was accepted for who I was. No one ever said you talk too much, you're too bold, or you ask too many questions. The only distinction between my earlier years and my teenage years, besides age, is I didn't get in trouble for talking. It's not because I stopped communicating, it was because I started passing notes! LOL!

College brought out some insecurities. I learned even more about myself, but this is when fear started to set in; it's when I began to get discouraged. I felt like a goldfish in a sea. I was still that smart, active, witty, and bold girl, but she was more suppressed first by a teacher's' comments about my lisp, then self doubt, and finally course requirements. For the first time, I was afraid to fail, to be rejected, to not meet the bar.  I questioned: did I prepare enough, and was I academically ready for what I was embarking upon?  Two years in I pledged a sorority with ideals align with who I am as a being (didn't know that then). I chose Zeta Phi Beta and they chose me back 😊! This was a turning point for me.

Fast Forward.... Evey discouraging word became a successful reality. Every stop on my journey has made me stronger by teaching me lessons and providing me with experiences that would shape my mind, heart, and soul. I am Forever Grateful, for the naysayers because they motivated, for the failures because they have propelled me, for the discouragers because they have strengthened me. With boundless possibilities, the Little Black Girl in me ROCKED then, still rocks, and continues to rock! She is royalty!

To be continued.........
LaShona Dickerson
Little Black Girl Author 💙💙💙



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chin Up Little Black Girl

FUNds for College

Season Opening....