Season Opening....

Schools across the nation are now in session. Along with the initial hustle and bustle of a  new school year, are placement tests and academic reviews and updates. Papers are being sent home for your signature, and routinely you sign. But WAIT! don't allow your child's academic review and updates be a part of that routine.  We mustn't be passive with something that has a huge impact on children's success in schools.  Let me get a bit more specific and personal. I just received my son's notification for SBLC Meeting (School Building Level Committee). My son is a junior in high school and is ADHD.  In the education system, they label it 504 and he is required to have an IAP (Individual Academic Plan).

Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 grants rights to students with disabilities. These disabilities include ADD, ADHD, vision and hearing impairment, behavior disorders, academic difficulties, broken limbs, and etc.  Some classifications of 504 are temporary for such disabilities as broken limbs. The law, in layman's terms, gives every child equitable opportunities to learning by providing accommodations for students.  The provided accommodations are determined by the parent, counselor, SBLC chairperson, and input from 1 or 2 teachers. It is important for you as a parent/guardian to be an active participant in this annual review and update. All teachers are bound by law to provide the accommodations selected by the team.

Selecting Accommodations:
As an advocate for your child, you should select accommodations that will help your child and not handicap them. For example, don't select calculator use if your child doesn't have a math deficit. My son is ADHD, which means he is hyperactive and easily distracted. I don't ask for calculator use in Math, nor do I ask for preferential seating.  In class, I need him to stay focus and need the teacher to redirect him during distractions. He may also need extended time on assignments because too many distractions can cause him to fall behind. In these meetings, I tell them what I want my son to have. Sometimes what's easiest for the teacher is what they select. I know this because I have observed the other side of that coin. Another important accommodation is home school communication. I specify how I want them to communicate with me (email).  Teachers will try to give you their class website or tell you to check the portal for grades. THAT!!!, my friends, is not home school communication.  I tell them if I have to go find the information that is not communication. Again this can only happen if you are present and active. 

Follow Through:
Now that accommodations are made, you have to continue to do your part. For younger children, you have to communicate with your child to be sure what the teacher sends home, you receive. For older students, you need to follow-up on the teacher's communication. My son's teachers will e-mail me about upcoming assignments, my son's performance on those assignments or extended due dates granted to him. I then have to follow-up with my son and remind him of what the teacher is expecting because he will forget.

Accountability:
Everyone is held accountable! Students, parents, teachers, school, and  District. This is a federal law. The student should never suffer for the teacher's failure to provide accommodations or the parent's failure to advocate. Parents must hold the school and child(ren) accountable. This opportunity for equity should never be used to relieve or handicap students academically. Be PROACTIVE, not PASSIVE.

What are your experiences? Do you shy away from these reviews because you don't understand? Your moment to change that is now. Let me be a resource for you.

No matter what grade you child is in you must always be an advocate for them.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chin Up Little Black Girl

FUNds for College